The Differences Between Men and Women - Present Simple Reading Practice

I want to invite you to the discussion and make you practice your English a bit! The text you will read is NOT very serious, but ... There's a grain of truth in every joke ;) Enjoy and send me your ideas if you'd like!

*French speakers can find useful the mini dictionary under the text!

Read and give your opinion!

Click here for the printable version of this lesson and some adjectives practice!

The Differences Between Men and Women:

CHILDREN

A woman knows everything about her child. Names of friends, grades at school, favourite musicians. A man? It's good when a man knows he has a baby!

THE LOOKS

Men are vain. They check how they look in a mirror. Women are crazy. They check how they look in every shiny surface - a mirror, a shop window, a spoon...

ASKING FOR DIRECTIONS

When a woman is lost, she asks for directions. A man never asks for directions. He will drive around for hours, saying 'I think I've seen this place before'.

IN THE LOCKER ROOM

Men talk about three things in the locker room: women, work and sport. They lie about women and work and they don't know half as much about sport as they think they do. Women talk about one thing in the locker room: love. They are very precise in descriptions and they never lie.

GOING OUT

Men dress up for two occasions: weddings and funerals. Women dress up for weddings, funerals, shopping, taking out the garbage...

ON THE PHONE

Men call to give or get information. A woman can see her friend for lunch and then call her from the bus and talk for another hour.

Mini Dictionary:

  • know - savoir / connaitre
  • grade - note
  • looks - physique / beauté
  • vain - vaniteux / superficiel
  • shiny - brilliant
  • spoon - cuillère
  • ask - demander / poser une question
  • lost - perdu
  • drive - conduire
  • locker room - vestiaire
  • lie - mentir
  • half - moitié
  • go out - sortir
  • dress up - bien s'habiller
  • wedding - mariage
  • funeral - enterrement
  • garbage - ordures / déchets
  • give - donner
  • get - obtenir

Now fill the gaps with the vocabulary items given above:

  1. When I don't understand something, I ....................a question.
  2. I usually tell the truth, but sometimes, I .........................
  3. I have a car, but I can't ..........................
  4. Martha is ......................, she spends all her money on cosmetics and clothes.
  5. When somebody dies, you go to a .........................
  6. When to people get married, you go to a .........................
  7. To eat soup, you need a ....................
  8. Anna got the best ....................from the test.
  9. When you go to the gym, you must change clothes in the .........................
  10. I never .........................at weekends, I prefer to stay at home.
You can send me your answers on my email address. I will try to answer as soon as possible! / Vous pouvez m'envoyer vos réponses à mon adress e-mail. Je vais essayer de vous répondre le plus vite possible!

Popular posts from this blog

I used to get up early vs I'm used to getting up early and I'm getting used to getting up early

Conditionals - how to use them outside classroom!

FCE Vocabulary Revision - Sport and Leisure